Based in Brisbane’s West End, we have established ourselves as a very effective team, with lots of amazing wins to protect this incredible place we call home, largely due to the contributions of people like you.
Our Values are what sets us apart
TWS values capture our essence, and work to create a sense of unity and comradeship amongst staff, volunteers and active members:
1. Passion for our Purpose (courage, strength of conviction, determination)
2. The Power of People to Make Change
3. Organisational Independence and Integrity
4. Compassion (valuing and supporting our people, respecting and having integrity in dealing with others)
5. Commitment to Success in protecting the environment (winning immediate campaigns and achieving long term change)
We have achieved a lot over the years. The majority of these wins have only come about with the amazing work of volunteers just like you:
- Daintree Rainforest logging stopped .
- Wet Tropics Rainforest World Heritage Area - including the Daintree .
- Fraser Island logging stopped and declared World Heritage area in 1992.
- Starcke property saved from overseas sale in 1993 and handed back to Traditional Owners  [225,000 ha].
- Stopped sand mining at Shelburne (Cape York Peninsula) .
- Broadscale land clearing stopped and 20 million ha of native woodlands protected .
- Queensland Wild Rivers Act .
- Wild River declarations: Gulf of Carpentaria , Channel Country , Cape York (Archer, Lockhart, Stewart) .
- Wenlock River on CYP declared Wild River, stopped mine proposal and saved area now known as Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve [June 2010].
- New Aboriginal Owned/managed National Parks on Cape York Peninsula, and support for first Indigenous Protected Area.
We host monthly volunteer meetings, where we share campaign updates, what’s coming up as well as getting your input on how we can protect the environment for all our futures.
We also hold regular welcome nights for new volunteers, find out how you can get involved and share your skills and ideas.
Our community organising training weekends are held every 1-2 months. The skills you will learn will be invaluable for you, giving you all the tools to not just win campaigns but so much more. It will give you the ability to empower your community and build effective teams and create solutions to achieve our shared vision.
Get involved today bring your skills and ideas and let’s keep building the amazing successes we have had together.
To find out more call us on 07 3846 1420 or [email protected].